A Symphony Orchestra is a community of instruments that all have unique strengths and weaknesses. Together, they work to create some of most beautiful and influential pieces of art ever made. Learn about all of the different instruments and their families as PSO Assistant Conductor Andrew Crust takes students on a journey of discovery through the community of musicians that make up the PSO. This performance will feature the popular work The Young Person’s Guide to the Symphony by British Composer Benjamin Britten as well as other works that feature each instrument family.
Click here to download the Teachers Guide!
Program to Include:
Benjamin Britten – The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra
Gabrielli – Canzon Septimi Toni No. 2
John Williams – Nimbus 2000 from Harry Potter The String Family: Edvard Grieg – Holberg Suite
Rouse – Ogoun Badagris
Tchaikovsky – Symphony No. 4
Stravinsky – Infernal Dance from The Firebird
- AT THE CONCERT: You do not need tickets for the concert — your group will be identified by the group name that you provided. For performances at Merrill Auditorium, seats will be assigned by Portland City staff. All seating requests will be considered but not guaranteed, depending upon ADA-accessible seating needs and group sizes. Please plan to arrive no later than 15 minutes before the start of the program to allow for enough time to seat you and your students. Also, please make sure that everyone in your group is prepared to respond with their Group Name that you used when you reserved your tickets. Merrill Auditorium may now know where to seat your group if they are given the wrong information.
- TEACHERS’ MATERIALS: Materials for our education programs will be available soon! Check back here for updates!
- PAYMENT POLICY: Please note that the PSO has a strict 30-day payment policy for tickets. Payment must be received at least 30 days before the performance, otherwise the reserved tickets may be released to the public. If your group requires more time to process a payment, please contact the PSO immediately.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: All changes or cancellations to a reservation must be made at least 30 days before the performance. Any changes or cancellations received less than 30 days before the performance will not be refunded.
- CANCELLATION DUE TO WEATHER: In the event that a performance is cancelled due to inclement weather, attendees will be notified as quickly as possible and all tickets and ticket fees will be refunded.
Should your school district declare a cancellation or late start that prohibits a group from attending a PSO Youth Concert, contact the PSO immediately. A refund for your order including ticket fees will be processed within 10 business days.
Please note: The PSO typically only cancels performances at Merrill Auditorium when the City of Portland declares a state of emergency and will often continue to perform in the face of inclement weather.