PORTLAND, Maine – The Portland Symphony Orchestra (PSO) is pleased to announce that John Elliott has been hired as Director of Education and Community Engagement. In this position, Elliott More
Auditions and Employment
Portland Symphony Orchestra
Robert Moody, Music Director
Announces auditions for:
Highly qualified applicants are encouraged to send a one-page resumé and $40 deposit check to:
Or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Emailed resumés should be in Word or PDF format.
Resumés are due on or before September 9, 2016 along with a $40 refundable deposit to secure your spot.
Checks should be made payable to the Portland Symphony Orchestra. Deposit checks will be returned upon audition check-in or will be destroyed if the audition is canceled before September 16, 2016
Employment will begin as soon as a winner’s availability and the Portland Symphony Orchestra’s schedule allow.
The Portland Symphony Orchestra Audition Committee reserves the right to dismiss any candidate not meeting the highest professional standard.
Principal Harp – September 23, 2016
Principal Horn – September 26, 2016
All auditions will be held at Merrill Auditorium.
Audition Repertoire posted below.
PSO Principal Horn Audition Repertoire List
Strauss, R: Concerto No. 1
1st mvt., exposition (final round)
Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 1
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3
Beethoven: Symphony No. 7
Beethoven: Symphony No. 9
4th horn solo, Mvt. 3
Brahms: Symphony No. 3
Bruckner: Symphony No. 4
Mahler: Symphony No. 5
Scherzo, obligato part
Mozart: Symphony No. 40
Ravel: Piano Concerto in G Major
Ravel: Pavane for a Dead Princess
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5
Strauss, R: Ein Heldenleben
Strauss, R: Till Eulenspiegel
1st and 3rd horn parts
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5
Wagner: Short horn call from “Siegfried”
Possible Sight Reading
PSO PRINCIPAL HARP AUDITION REPERTOIRE LIST
Handel: Concerto in B-flat. Mvt. 1
Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra
Mvt. 4 from pickup to  to .
Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique. Mvt. 2
19 measures after  to 
18 measures after  to 4 measures after 
 to 
Debussy: La Mer
No. 1:  to 
 to 3 measures after , stop before glissando
No. 2: 4 measures after  to 3 measures after 
Mahler: Symphony No. 5. Movement 4, Adagietto
Beginning to 
 to end
 to  (Cadenza)
 to 3 measures before 
Rimsky-Korsakov: Capriccio Espagnol
Mvt. 4: Cadenza after [L]. Play for 7 measures
Mvt. 5: [R] to 12 measures after[R]
Mvt. 5: [S] to 12 measures after [S]
Mvt. 5: 12 after [T] to 17 measures before [V]
Strauss, Richard: Death and Transfiguration
1 measure after [B] to 6 measures before [D]
11 measures after [O] to 5 measures before [Q]
Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker. Waltz of the Flowers. Beginning through cadenza
Verdi: Overture to La Forza del Destino
[G] to [H]
[N] to [O]
Possible Sight Reading
OPEN STAFF POSITIONS (1):
Patron & Media Relations Manager
JOB TITLE: Patron and Media Relations Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing and Communications
JOB SUMMARY: The Patron and Media Relations Manager is responsible for representing the PSO to the community, media and patrons and also manages logistics of various special events. The PSO Marketing Department mission is to support the entire organization including development, education, internal communications and institutional identity. The position is full time in Portland, Maine.
QUALIFICATIONS: College degree; proven experience in public relations, preferably in performing arts. The ideal candidate is a “people-person” with strong copywriting background, knowledge of media sources (strategic buying and placement), e-mail communications experience (ie. Constant Contact) and is social media savvy. Must be willing to work as part of a team in an intimate office setting. Experience with box office and/or donor database software is a plus, bonus points for knowledge of Patron Edge and Blackbaud in particular. Classical music knowledge also an asset.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Media and Advertising:
- Assist in the development of a plan for communicating the PSO’s activities to the media. Work closely with publicists in establishing positive contacts with local media outlets, and in conveying an image consistent with the PSO’s strategic plan. Maintain media contacts, act as spokesman for PSO as needed, and provide public information by request.
- In conjunction with the PSO’s PR firm, act as a contact to media representatives including coordination of interviews with key members of the PSO and members of the media.
- Schedule and implement media buys as determined by the marketing team. Track the media budget including expenses and projections.
- Assist the Sales Manager in securing ad insertions from PSO advertisers.
- Oversee the planning and development of special events (annual meeting and season kickoff, other events and fundraisers) and new subscriber activities; coordinate with volunteers to carry out the events and ensure that they are consistent with the PSO’s policies and objectives.
- Supervise ongoing telemarketing campaign with outside company to boost subscriptions. Track telemarketing results and facilitate communication between the telemarketing company, the PSO and the PortTIX, the box office at Merrill Auditorium.
- Coordinate placement and distribution for brochures, advertisements, newsletters, program books, posters, presentations, signage and promotional materials.
- Manage marketing material logistics including inventory, inserts, media kits and archived collateral
- Coordinate the production of each Playbill, assembling the content from various sources.
- Ensure a dynamic presence on Facebook and other social media outlets. Facilitate a personal, two-way conversation between patrons and the PSO.
- Oversee production of the PSO video shorts “Online Insights.”
- Create and distribute monthly email newsletters and other communications such as pre-concert information.
- Perform website updates, based on experience / skill level.
- Assist the Corporate & Foundation Relations Manager with complimentary ticket disbursement for sponsors.
- Work with the Development Director in packaging and solicitation of sponsorships and in-kind support for various product lines and campaigns; ensure that media exposure and acknowledgment promised to sponsors and donors takes place.
- Enhance the PSO’s connection its community through the promotion of outreach concerts and disbursement of complimentary tickets to local service organizations.
- Attend concerts of the orchestra to act as liaison to patrons, the media and the public.
Please email resume and cover letter to Mical Hutson, Director of Marketing and Communications at email@example.com by September 23, 2016. For more information on the Portland Symphony orchestra (Maine), please visit PortlandSymphony.org.
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Portland Symphony Orchestra to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, handicap, age, or Veteran status.