Robert Moody talks about the unexpected connection between classic rock More
Auditions and Employment
Portland Symphony Orchestra
Robert Moody, Music Director
Announces auditions for:
Highly qualified applicants are encouraged to send a one-page resumé and $40 deposit check to:
Or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Emailed resumés should be in Word or PDF format.
Resumés are due on or before September 9, 2016 along with a $40 refundable deposit to secure your spot.
Checks should be made payable to the Portland Symphony Orchestra. Deposit checks will be returned upon audition check-in or will be destroyed if the audition is canceled before September 16, 2016
Employment will begin as soon as a winner’s availability and the Portland Symphony Orchestra’s schedule allow.
The Portland Symphony Orchestra Audition Committee reserves the right to dismiss any candidate not meeting the highest professional standard.
Principal Harp – September 23, 2016
Principal Horn – September 26, 2016
All auditions will be held at Merrill Auditorium.
Audition Repertoire will be posted as soon as it becomes available.
OPEN STAFF POSITIONS (1):
Director of Marketing and Communications
JOB TITLE: Director of Marketing and Communications
COMPENSATION: Full Time, Salaried, Commensurate with Experience
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUPERVISES: Patron and Media Relations Manager, Sales Manager
JOB SUMMARY: The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for:
- Maximizing Revenue and tickets sold: strategizing, administering, and evaluating programs that meet or exceed attendance and ticket revenue goals for orchestra events while maximizing the visibility of the orchestra, consistent with PSO policies and long-range objectives.
- Managing the patron experience/engagement: and being a key liaison with box office (PortTIX)
- Overseeing the PSO’s image/visibility: the design and production of the Portland Symphony’s collateral materials, which include direct mail, advertisements, newsletters, program books, posters, presentations, signage, web presence.
- Supporting the entire organization including development, education, internal communications and institutional identity
- College degree
- Proven experience in marketing, preferably in performing arts
- Highly motivated with strong organizational and communication skills
- Proven ability to manage a staff of professionals with demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and professionally develop a creative staff.
- Ability to work as part of a team, resolving problems, balancing the needs of diverse groups, and carrying projects through at a high level of excellence.
- Ability to independently prioritize and complete work in a complex environment.
- Extremely sophisticated time management and prioritizing skills are required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
Strong computer skills required. Strong graphic design and layout skills highly preferred but not required. Knowledge of web development, and media placement.
Familiarity with the following strongly preferred
- Publishing (Adobe InDesign)
- Online content management (WordPress, Drupal)
- Email management and communication (Constant Contact, PatronMail)
- Presentation (MS PowerPoint)
- Photo Editing (Adobe Photoshop)
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and implement all aspects of season subscription and renewal campaigns, including direct mail and telemarketing. Oversee the acquisition of prospect lists, production of all campaign materials, and work of outside contractors. Monitor the progress of all campaigns and provide progress reports and analyses of results.
- Plan and implement a year-round single tickets sales campaign, including the design and placement of print and electronic advertising, special promotions, and group sales. Oversee the work of outside contractors; provide periodic progress reports.
- Develop house scale, pricing strategies and policies that fulfill revenue/attendance goals. Research and recommend any special ticketing policies (i.e., exchanges) and subscription series makeup in collaboration with box office.
- Liaise with box office. Facilitate friendly, courteous service and customer satisfaction in ticket transactions; engage in customer research as needed. Monitor internal information systems to ensure accurate and efficient ticketing and customer relations systems.
- Develop a program for communicating the PSO’s activities to the media. Work closely with publicists in establishing positive contacts with local media outlets, and in conveying an image consistent with the PSO’s strategic plan. Maintain media contacts, act as spokesman for PSO as needed, and provide public information by request.
- Oversee the development and production of all materials used to support the PSO’s public relations events and marketing campaigns, including subscription brochures, print ads, posters, signs, electronic media, advertising copy, telemarketing, press releases, newsletters, program book, annual report, and special promotions. Ensure the quality, consistency, and accuracy of all PSO communications.
- Oversee the planning and development of special public relationship events and new subscriber activities; ensure consistency with PSO policies and objectives
- Conduct audience and market research as needed; develop strategies based on survey analyses. Provide statistical and demographic information to the PSO as requested.
Budget and Planning
- Assist the Executive Director and Board in establishing appropriate goals for the subscription campaign and single tickets sales campaigns.
- Develop a plan for achieving those goals and establish a master calendar that outlines all campaigns and external communications.
- Develop budgets for each event and campaign; monitor the progress of each, and adjust plans when necessary.
- Identify organizational and market trends that may cause significant problems or present new opportunities for the PSO; recommend a course of action or changes in the current operating plan that takes this information into account.
- Provide information for the Music Director and Executive Director in developing programs. Develop and recommend coordinated packaging to achieve maximum sales.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and other designated staff in strategic planning and communications for the PSO.
- Provide guidance and support to all departments in issues regarding patron engagement and/or communications.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of all tickets sales systems and records; ensure the accuracy of all ticket revenue reports; provide periodic progress reports as requested.
- Work with the Corporate & Foundations Relations Manager in packaging and solicitation of sponsorships/in-kind support for various product lines and campaigns; ensure that media exposure and acknowledgement takes place
- Negotiate contracts as needed with outside vendors for the provision of direct mail, telemarketing, marketing research, design, and printing services; ensure competitive pricing and the quality of their work.
- Hire, train, manage, and evaluate the performance of all marketing and public relations staff, including vendors, interns and volunteers.
- Serve as part of the senior management team to assist the Executive Director in setting and implementing administrative and artistic policies established by the Board.
Board of Directors
- Staff the Marketing Committee of the Board and other volunteers enlisted to participate in marketing and public relations special events and campaigns.
- Report to the Board on progress of all ticket sales campaigns; provide other reports and public communications as requested.
- Recommend marketing policies and promotion strategies to the Executive Director and Board with the goal of reaching new audiences for the orchestra; ensure that all new promotions demonstrate the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.
- Serve on relevant patron engagement and artistic planning committees.
Oversight of Graphic Design and Production
- Secure and manipulate artwork and photography for print, web and email projects
- Organize and maintain electronic image archive
- Manage development, production and distribution of promotional and collateral materials including print, electronic media (radio, website, television, electronic media), direct mail, displays, and signage and manage the printing of each piece
- Coordinate mailings through outside vendors
- Manage proofing and approval process for all materials
- Lobby, event and box office signage
- Monitor and track in-house inventory of print materials
- Attend concerts of the orchestra to represent the PSO to the public.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local business and arts leaders to enhance PSO’s marketing and public relations efforts. Work to enhance public understanding of and support for the unique role of the orchestra in the community.
- Represent PSO to Portland Presents.
- Keep abreast of recent research on marketing techniques.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Please email resume + cover letter to Carolyn Nishon, Executive Director, at email@example.com with subject line “PSO Marketing Application” by Friday, May 6, 2016. Format: .pdf preferred / .doc accepted.
For more information on the Portland Symphony Orchestra (Maine), please visit PortlandSymphony.org
An Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of the Portland Symphony Orchestra to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, handicap, age, or Veteran status.