Your Gift Makes an Impact
Thanks to our generous donors, we have been able to achieve the following:
- Since its inception in 2011, twelve Discovery concerts have reached over 10,000 attendees; including over 1,000 new households.
- More than 4,500 children and family members have experienced musical instruments and met professional musicians at a PSO Instrument Petting Zoo.
- 2015-16 marked the PSO’s 8th year in the black.
- PSO musicians have doubled their presence in the community.
PSO Education dives headfirst into the public school system with the PSO Musical Explorers program. Now in its second full year, it is working with kindergarten teachers at the Howard C. Reiche Community School to bring musicians into the classroom using an arts integrated curriculum, teaching early reading skills. After a successful pilot phase, the program is poised to expand to other grades and schools in Portland next year.
- Education & Community programs reach over 26,000 children and adults each season.
Teacher, Linda McVety “Your concerts give our 4th grade children a musical experience that most would never have. Children who attend are now excited to listen and explore other styles of music that include a multitude of instruments. They become life-long learners who are not afraid to explore beyond what they listen to at home.”
Parent, Jen Segal “The opportunity to experience a live symphony is so special to our family. My kids’ lives have been greatly enriched by their experiences with the PSO! One son just started trumpet – a DIRECT result of the petting zoo. My other son has a few years before school band begins, but he’s already decided on the French horn!”
Music Lover, Sally Bancroft “We are so fortunate to have musicians willing to share their lives with us on and off stage!”
Music Director, Robert Moody “I am grateful to have this talented group of players, and for our loyal supporters who ensure that our artistic product will grow stronger beyond our 90th anniversary.”
PSO Bassist, Lynn Hannings “I moved to Maine to play in the Portland Symphony because I was impressed by the quality of the orchestra and by a community that was supportive of the arts. As we evolved into the orchestra of today, we must give thanks to all our loyal supporters. Thank you, it wouldn’t have been possible without you!”